[OSM-talk] Pedestrian crossings and barriers

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 11:41:31 BST 2007

On 7/29/07, Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> Can't you just get this with highway=crossing and cycle=yes, with the
> cycle lane and other parts properly tagged? If we can assume that
> crossings are usually just for pedestrians, that is.

I dislike all these hidden assumptions. Should we mark all pelican
crossings as cycle=no? If we don't, then how do we mark crossings that
we zipped past in a car without noticing that it was a pelican or
toucan? highway=crossing, cycle=undefined?

> My point was that I
> don't see why we need to know it's called a toucan crossing, we just
> need to know what/where it is, and who can use it.

I'd rather if it was a spade, I called it a spade, rather than
tool=hand, move_dirt=yes. It seems simpler to me.

crossing=toucan is no less international-unfriendly than
highway=motorway, but everyone gets along fine without autobahn,
autoroute, freeway etc.

Cheers,
Andy