[OSM-talk] Cycle mapping

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sun Jul 29 18:23:41 BST 2007

On 29/07/2007 14:05, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
>> I am using the regulation 'bicycle_parking' tag for now. I will add the
>> number of places to them using a suitable tag. Is there one that is used
>> for car parking I wonder? Any suggestions from anyone? or I will use
>> the tag
>> 'capacity' which is pretty general and could be applied to parking, a
>> theatre, stadium etc etc.
>
> Why do you need the numbers? ;)  Here in Germany we have bicycle_parking
> with just 6 or 8 places and there you will always find a free place
> nevertheless, while big areas (20-100 places) are crowed most of the
> time, esp. nearby universities as you might imagine.
>
> But counting the places does not hurt, of course.

I'm not sure it would be practical to mark all cycle parking in
Cambridge, there is a vast amount in small groups, though there are some
key places, and it is useful to show where in a vast supermarket car
park the bikes stands are: my local Tesco, for example, has some 60
spaces round the side of the store. There are a few bigger places, like
the 70+ space cycle store in Park Street, and the 500 space cycle park
which is opening in the new Grand Arcade shopping centre in September.

David