[OSM-talk] Map Features / International

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 11:50:23 BST 2007

> Hi,
>
>     I think that our map features page is too English (or maybe too
> German, depends on who edited it last...). Either we need to
> encourage more national tagging, or we must start removing cultural
> dependencies from Map Features (at the risk of making it less usable).
>
> For example, there's the "shop" section, with an entry:
>
> "shop=bakery: selling bread, cakes..."

This originally said butchers, bakers, candlestick makers... or
something along those lines. This was a much better description than
what's currently there (or at least it would have been if it wasn't
for the fact that noone outside of the
english-language-nursery-rhyme-exposed group got the reference).

The shop tag went overnight from being, "just write down the kind of
shop it is", to being "shop tags that have been approved are butcher,
baker, chandler". Which is so silly, it's silly.

A lot of the cultural problems would go away if map features was less
prescriptive. Not all obviously, but it would be a start, and the
stags stuff might make the rest slightly easier if it suggests some
kind of structure for this kind of thing.

So yes, it needs to be a *lot* clearer on that page that what's shown
is a suggestion only.

> I know that bakeries in Germany usually sell both bread and cakes. (I
> think I remember that bakeries in the UK tend to sell funny stuff
> with lots of meat inside as well... or was that in Cornwall only?)

Ah, the Cornish pasty. Yes, I've never quite figured out why they come
from bakeries -- although given they're mostly potato and onion it
probably makes as much sense as a butchers... and green grocers don't
tend to cook things.