[OSM-talk] Map Features / International

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 17:30:46 BST 2007

On 7/31/07, Mike Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:

> The next stage would be to have a shop page link from the Map Features with informal lists for more than one country.

I still think this is the wrong way round. The only reason that we
want these written down is to help cooperation. I think a much more
valuable list would be all the shop= variations sorting in descending
order with the most popular at the top, sucked out of the database.
That way when someone looks for a tag to use, the one they are looking
for is more likely to be towards the top. The ones near the bottom can
be examined for spelling errors and suchlike. The ones in the middle
can be examined to see whether tags need combining or splitting and so
on.

In fact, the same applies for the rest of the tags. I'm much more
interested in what the community consensus is on tagging things, and I
think that's best expressed by what's already in the db rather than an
often-painted bikeshed[1] on the wiki.

Cheers,
Andy

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_the_bikeshed