[OSM-talk] Kite-based surveying

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 11:31:54 GMT 2007

Steve Chilton wrote:
>Sent: 21 March 2007 11:08 AM
>To: OSM
>Subject: [OSM-talk] Kite-based surveying
>
>Mike Smith (http://www.kingston.ac.uk/esg/staff/smith.htm) from the
>School of Earth Sciences and Geography, Kingston University is speaking
>at Middlesex University (Hendon) next Monday (26th) on "Close range
>photogrammetry: kite-based remote sensing". It is at 11-30am, as part of
>the Mathematics & Statistics Research Seminar series, but I am sure
>would welcome outside attendance if anyone is interested.
>I hope to be able to attend, and will attempt to provide a summary
>somewhere, and/or persuade Mike to make his presentation available via
>the www.

Kite aerial photography is quite a big hobby that is taken very seriously by
those who do it. They judge the quality of the photo by what the operator
managed to get in the shot (the operator being one of the most important I
believe). There is a group local to me who do it but I've never really
thought about whether it could be used practically for mapping.

This is a useful pointer on the legalities of kites etc.

http://www.zenonic.demon.co.uk/kapstuff/KAPUKLaw.html

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson