[OSM-talk] finding new stuff when mapping

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Fri Mar 23 22:07:37 GMT 2007

A bit late to this thread but interesting things I've discovered:

- just how far it's possible to go on footpaths, following one path after
another, with no, or minimal, road walking.

- an appreciation that road layouts, even in residential areas, have changed
over time. This evening (as you do on a Friday night) I was wandering round a
Victorian terraced housing estate where all the roads were parallel and
rather nicely curved. About 5 of the 7 parallel roads all linked to a
straight road at the south end. The other two stopped short. But, walking
around, you could tell that the two other roads used to continue on to the
straight road before new (1960s) development was built over the top of them.
The old course (confirmed by a glance at the NPE map of the area) is still
evident in footways, and thus will be evident when it appears on OSM.

Nick