[OSM-talk] osm2pgsql enhancements

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 25 02:02:30 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 08:57 +0000, Artem Pavlenko wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> On 23 Mar 2007, at 07:19, Martin Spott wrote:
>
> > Martin Spott wrote:
> >

> > > [...] I'll try "the Experimental" in the step that follows.
> >

> > Looks good so far,
> >

> > Table Experimental Stable
> > planet_osm_line 341886 341883
> > planet_osm_point 102685 102685
> > planet_osm_polygon 13881 167291
> >

> Looks like some polygons gone missing here.
>
> > planet_osm_roads 88531
>

> > What is actually the classification of the 'roads' ? Apparently this
> > is
> > not just a subset of the 'line' table that contains just driveable
> > roads - instead the 'roads' table contains even "footway" and
> > "Ostkustbanan" as highway type ....
> >

> The idea was to create 'simplified'
> motorway/trunk/primary/secondary/rail table. But 'simplify' function
> in PostGIS produced undesirable results and I left it as it is. It
> shouldn't contain 'footway' or 'Osrkustbanan', looks like bug to me.

Not a bug, but an obscure feature due to the inclusion of railway= in
the roads table ("char_length(railway) > 0" in the setup_z_order.sql).

The data below is from a UK subset of planet.osm:

gis=> select highway,count(highway) from planet_osm_roads group by highway order by count(highway) desc;
    highway     | count
----------------+-------
 primary        | 12503
 secondary      |  7324
 trunk          |  4345
 motorway       |  1581
 motorway_link  |  1193
 trunk_link     |   850
 primary_link   |   415
 secondary_link |    22
 railway        |    15
 cycleway       |     8
 unsurfaced     |     7
 rail           |     6
 footway        |     5 <-- ?
 railroad       |     1
                |     0

gis=> select highway,railway from planet_osm_roads where highway='footway';
 highway |  railway
 footway | dismantled
 footway | abandoned
 footway | dismantled