[OSM-talk] osm2pgsql enhancements

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 07:50:18 BST 2007

Jon Burgess wrote:

>>> planet_osm_roads 88531
>>> What is actually the classification of the 'roads' ? Apparently this
>>> is
>>> not just a subset of the 'line' table that contains just driveable
>>> roads - instead the 'roads' table contains even "footway" and
>>> "Ostkustbanan" as highway type ....

>  gis=> select highway,railway from planet_osm_roads where highway='footway';
>  highway |  railway
> ---------+------------
>  footway | dismantled
>  footway | abandoned
>  footway | dismantled
>  footway | abandoned
>  footway | abandoned
> (5 rows)

Of cause this may actually be correct and just needs tidying up. One of the
dismantled railway lines near me is currently used by ramblers and horses and
I know of a couple of others that are used as access roads. Ignoring the
historic context may be appropriate - until the track gets relaid as is
happening on the section North of Toddington so that the Gloucestershire
Warwickshire Railway preserved line can be reconnected with Stratford. The
section of track as far as Broadway will cease to be a footpath in the next
phase. There was some surprise locally when the Broadway Bypass had to be
built with a railway bridge capable of handling electrification had to be
built, when the original plan had no bridge at all. While the railway is not
likely to install overhead cables, the protection to these routes does mean
that they way well be reopened at some point in the future :)

The simple answer to railway line classification can be checked since while it
still holds a status that would allow it to be reinstated it should be
identified as such, but those sections that ARE now roads and footpaths and
for which the rights to railway status have been dropped, the road designation
is correct. It is just the historic context that it would be nice to maintain?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL