[OSM-talk] Yahoo Aerial Imagery vs. OSM Spirit

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Mar 30 09:59:22 BST 2007

> I think you misunderstood me here. What I was saying that there is a
> possibility that using *no* hi-res imagery at all might in fact be
> *better* than using the Yahoo imagery in the current situation because
> of the side effects.

Using Yahoo imagery is infinitely better than no imagery at all -- as long
as the final result remains free and "untainted" people can collect the data
from whereever they like. ie: I can't see any side effects at present.

The only issues are in what the developers are allowed to do when making OSM
tools, which seems to boil down to something like "please don't scrape us".
So the only thing effected is the editing process for those wishing to
actually use Yahoo data -- obviously, if anyone feels that the restrictions
are too huge, they're free not to use it... JOSM still works, and you can
still collect GPS tracks.

BTW if you're mapping in a Yahoo covered area things become so much easier
-- you can cover the streets about twice as quick because you don't need to
cycle down each one if there's nothing at the end of it. And mapping
non-cycleable features becomes possible: park boundaries, graveyards, river
banks, golf courses, large building boundaries...
... on that basis can I just say a big thank you to everyone who's spent
time getting the Yahoo data available!