[OSM-talk] TIGER cleannup

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 20:43:21 GMT 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 12:31 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us> wrote:
> beej wrote:
>  > Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>  > > The reason you don't get a response is because no-one has any idea. In
>  > > NL we're likely to get government street data in a few years, and we
>  > > also have no idea how to deal with that...
>  >
>  > At least in the US, we can get our hands on aerial photography, and can
>  > correct the bad census data from that.  It tends to go pretty quickly.
>
> but what about areas where the TIGER data is simply mis-aligned?  for
> instance, currently the TIGET data for san mateo county is off by about
> 200'.  and i think (i don't live in that area, so i'm not sure) that it's
> the entire county that's affected.
>
> i think OSM needs to have a plan for dealing with updates for these
> sorts of issues, at least.
>
> paul

The "plan" is that OSM mappers get some GPS traces for the roads and
realign them, fix spelling problems, incorrect intersections, etc.
That's how I've been handling Napa & Sonoma counties. It's too bad we
can't do an update, because there is a TIGER "realignment" project
underway at the Census to fix those problems (many counties were
already done and have great accuracy; unfortunately the more populous
ones were left for last). Anyway, we take what we can get. In my mind,
poor quality data is better than no data--at least it's a starting
point. Plus, having *some* coverage gets more people interested and
then motivated to fix it.

Karl