[OSM-talk] voice recorders

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Wed Oct 17 19:31:53 BST 2007

Hi,

> A slight alternative to this is to record a constant audio stream and
>   taken photos (of nothing) along the way, then you just need to say
> "I'm taking a photo as we pass a post box on the left" and you know
> that the first photo that shows up is where the post box was.

I tried this, but I failed to split it into the chunks of the spoken
data. In between, there's a lot of "silence", which actually contains a
lot of noise of the environment.

I thus set a waypoint at any note I want to take and record a single
note on my mp3 player. Back home, I load both the waypoints and the
tracks as gpx in JOSM and listen to my  recordings: "Waypoint 123: a
post box on the right hand side and a nice McDonalds restaurant on the
left hand side".

Sometimes it confuses bypassers as a cyclist talks to his left hand, but
that's nothing that annoys me ;-) .

Cheers,

ce