[OSM-talk] Hierarchy of places

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 19:19:37 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The  question is coming because the name finder gives the same
> importance to Paris, USA and Paris, France (or something like that).
> Instead of making more artificial granularity on the place hierarchy
> which is just moving the problem a bit farther not fixing it, I would
> suggest to use other tags like the population or the admin_level. Then
> it is the responsibility of the software developer to decide which one
> is the best for his application.

Do you propose to replace place=hamlet/village/town/city with a
place=populated_place (or something similar) and just use otehr metrics for
rendering London more visible than Idmiston?

I have a hard time seeing that village/town/city is an artificial
granularity, and cannot see how adding a couple of more values makes them
artifical either.

 - Gustav