[OSM-talk] Are there any ways with street number ranges in the OSM database?

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Wed Dec 10 17:04:35 GMT 2008

Hi Jochen,

The purpose for my inquiry on this topic was to see if there was an area
that has been extensively addressed, and could be used for the
demonstration site we are trying to develop for PAGC. Based on the
thread, it appears the Karlsruhe is the most extensively addressed area
at this point, but only a fairly small proportion of it has been
addressed at this point, too small a proportion to be used for the PAGC
demonstration site at this moment (this will likely change in the future
as more of the city is addressed). This was really the upshot of my
comment about using OSM for geocoding being a work in progress.

As I know you are aware, postal addresses are very messy things, that
differ from country to country (and even jurisdiction to jurisdiction in
some cases). As a result, I think you are correct that a one size fits
all tagging scheme will never be developed (or would even be desirable).
Having said this, from a data user point of view, keeping the number of
different schemes to the minimal acceptable number really makes life
easier.

Dan

--
Dan Putler