[OSM-talk] [Spam] Re: Is OSM Mapper ready for 0.6? (was Re: DisablePotlatch finally)

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Wed Dec 17 11:30:13 GMT 2008

On 17 Dec 2008, at 10:06, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:

> On Wed, December 17, 2008 10:57, Peter Miller wrote:
>> For the avoidance of doubt, is the format of the planet file changing
>> or does this just affect the API between editors and the DB?
>
> IIRC, the format for .osm files will be *very* *similar*. The only
> differences will be that, instead of usernames, you'll get user IDs.
> Supposedly, you'll get the ID-username mapping at the beginning of the
> file (so you can cross-reference or search-and-replace to your hearts'
> content).

Actually you will get both the user id and the username, as is
currently done in the planet dumps and daily/hourly/minutely diffs.

> The node-way-relation stuff, and tags, won't be touched.

We will be exposing the version numbers of each node, way and
relation. These will be returned in all API calls. Each node, way and
relation in the API calls will be related to a changeset, rather than
a user directly, with each changeset then being related to a user.
This however won't be noticed in most API calls, as the username,
changeset id and userid will all be returned.

Frederik has made relations ordered. This generally won't mean
anything in the end user until editors are improved. This will allow
for giving the order of stops in a route.

The API will also refuse uploads of old versions of nodes, ways and
relations. This means that all editing apps will require to have some
form of conflict resolution. This will mean that many of the errors of
people uploading the same thing at the same time will hopefully be gone.

There are currently no plans for a changeset metadata dump, however
I'm sure this could be provided in a similar manner to the relations
dump if there is demand for it.

Shaun