[OSM-talk] Hiking and Trail riding map

Michal Migurski mike at stamen.com
Tue Dec 23 09:13:01 GMT 2008

On Dec 21, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Nop wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> As I liked the features of the cycle map but rather missed a hiking
> map
> based on a similar design, I started working on one.

> You can have a look at an early draft here: http://www.nop.onpw.de/.
> And
> there the problems start. Currently the test map is located at a free
> webhoster, but it is obvious that the final map will be require some
> magnitudes more webspace.

The render looks great! I'm glad you got the hill shading all worked
out.

> So do you have any recommendations for me on where to find webhosting
> for this project? It is a simple set of prerendered tiles and
> openlayers
> and requires no server side database or applications.

I've been using Amazon's Simple Storage Service (S3) for my tile-
hosting. It's quite reasonably priced for large volumes of data, and
I've loaded it up with a variety of tiled maps like these:

	http://teczno.com/old-oakland/

I use their EC2 service to do the actual processing and generation of
images, but I could be doing this equally well on my own machine and
uploading to the same S3 URL.

-mike.

michal migurski- mike at stamen.com
                  415.558.1610