[OSM-talk] Maritme borders

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 12:52:34 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:26 PM, D Tucny <d at tucny.com> wrote:

> I'm not exactly up on laws, rules, treaties and agreements etc regarding
> borders and controls, but, is this not about politics? If Someone from,
> using your example, Morocco, flies to the UK via Ireland, they also won't
> need to go through imigration in Ireland, as long as they are only
> transferring...

That is up to the country you are transferring through. In the US, for
instance, you need to go through imigration even when you are transferring
between two international flights.

> The borders are real, they do exist do they not, but, isn't it up to the
> ruling goverment to decide how they enforce those borders, be it at land, at
> sea, in the air and with whom they allow free passage across those borders?

I suggest the following Wikipedia article as a good starting point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Convention_on_the_Law_of_the_Sea

> Should administative boundaries at level 2 show an area of border control
> only? Should the admin_level between EU member states or between schengen
> member states be a higher level? say 3 or 4? With an EU boundary at level 2?
> Or a Schengen boundary at level 2? Or overlapping schengen and EU boundaries
> at level 2 or 3...

No, but I think admin_level should indicate that a line is a boundary
between two entities of the same level. When you say that a boundary is
admin_level 2, does that not indicate that you have one country on one side
of the line and another country on the other side of the line? If used on
maritime borders of 12 nm, it indicates that you have one country's
territorial waters on one side and the contiguous zone of the same country
on the other side. If used at 24 nm it indicates one contry's contiguos zone
on one side and the same country's economic zone on the other side.

 - Gustav