[OSM-talk] Linux install guide

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Sun Feb 17 21:35:46 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 11:52 +0000, Etienne wrote:
> An OSMF donor has offered a reasonable donation/payment if someone
> were to make "a simple guide on how to install and display maps on
> your unix-based server".
>
> They want something that "even the most basic linux users can figure
> it out".
>
> The requirements are not totally clear at the moment but if anyone is
> interested in doing this please contact me.

I have been thinking for sometime about taking the work I did on
building slippy maps on Fedora 7[1] and using it as the basis for
creating a live DVD or USB Fedora distribution[2][3].  The idea would be
that you would insert the USB key of DVD and reboot.  When the system
had started up you would be presented with a simple desktop with an open
web browser showing the map.  Ideal for giving away at conventions and
conferences!

There are (at least) three issues that would need to be addressed:

1) How do install/package the Postgres database containing the plant.osm
dump?  I think you can do this with hooks into the livecd creator
script.

2) Would such a spin fit on a DVD?  This could probably be managed by
tailoring the data - eg a UK only or US only edition.

3) Would the fast moving nature of the OSM world make this a pointless
exercise?

Due to day job commitments I probably can't lead such a project, but I
would be happy to help where I could.

Keith.

[1] http://www.passback.org.uk/maps/fedora.shtml
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD