[OSM-talk] highway=stop

Pieren Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:05:16 GMT 2008

Could someone explain the tag highway=stop provided by the 'Map Features'
page ?
I would expect that all tags approved and moved to this "reference" page are
clearly described.
I found a wiki page (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping/Features/Junction) saying :
"Intersections with stop signs should be tagged
highway<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:highway>
=stop<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Tag:highway%3Dstop&action=edit>.
Intersections with traffic signals should be tagged
highway<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:highway>
=traffic_signals<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Tag:highway%3Dtraffic_signals&action=edit>
."
But at the end of the page, an important note says:
" Should highway
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:highway>=stop<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Tag:highway%3Dstop&action=edit>and
highway <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:highway>=
traffic_signals<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Tag:highway%3Dtraffic_signals&action=edit>be
used to mark the intersection or where the physical stop sign/signal
is?
What about junctions where not all directions are signed/signaled?"

Well, fine, the foot note on the wiki page explains that the main
description is a non-sens...
Shall we put the node on the way where the sign is, a little bit before the
intersection (and how much) ?  or is it planned to use a relation ? or does
it really help to tag such signs (I mean, it does not influence routing) ?
or should we remove this tag from the approved Map features and create a
proposal wiki page where a clear definition could be done ?
Pieren