[OSM-talk] Misclassified roads

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Jul 11 14:56:50 BST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> Er, I've driven past that one a handful of times (some friends used to
> live in Pontardawe) and if it's the road I'm thinking of - down
> towards the KFC - it _is_ unclassified. Well, either that or tertiary;

It can't possibly be unclassified - an unclassified road is a single
carriage way, usually with no centre line.  This road is a dual
carriageway with two lanes in each direction.  I need to go and survey the
area to see if it has an A or B number - if it doesn't then it's a
tertiary, definately not an unclassified.  (and given the size of
the road I would be *extremely* surprised if it didn't have an A B or C
number).

> Why not just leave them alone until you have the time to properly
> survey them, rather than assuming you know better than the original
> mapper?

Two reasons:
1. Informing people who are using the map that the classification is
unknown rather than giving them an almost certainly incorrect
classification is a Good Thing.
2. Making it more obvious that the road need surveying means that it can
be done systematically (possibly by more than just one person too).

  - Steve