[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] Developers requested to helpprovide "completeness" tools

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Tue May 13 10:18:27 BST 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Sent: 12 May 2008 10:10 PM
>To: Jeffrey Martin
>Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] Developers requested to helpprovide
>"completeness" tools
>
>Hi,
>
>> I'm very far from this in Korea, but I would guess in time some
>> parts of the UK will need to be rechecked at some point. How can we
>> make a system for rechecking an area? Maybe the completeness should
>> be retired after a period of time.
>
>Once we have a few applications in place that get viewed by *many*
>people, we could just have a button somewhere along the margin of the
>page that says: "I know the area and what I see here looks correct".
>That would not give us any safety but if, when looking at a part of
>the map, you knew that within the last 6 months 178 people had clicked
>on "this looks correct" then that would perhaps give you at least a
>warm fuzzy feeling ;-)

The more we can crowdsource the solution to "completeness" or "correctness"
then the more in tune the process will be with the rest of the project. We
all know bits of lots of places. If it looks correct then why do we care if
in actuality it's just slightly wrong in some way. Someone with the detailed
knowledge about the subtitles of a small area would eventually come along
and tweak/correct/improve it anyway.

So perhaps we don’t need a tool to say how complete an area is, we just need
users to say if they think it looks good enough/is good enough for their
intended use.

Cheers

Andy