[OSM-talk] Wiki: chriscf vandalism

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 1 11:22:01 GMT 2009

As a relative newbie I am not going to get too involved in this debate but
would just make three simple comments:

1. When I was a complete newbie (mapper) I would probably never have
continued with this excellent osm project had there not been a mapfeatures
page ... I would have been completely lost as to how to proceed and would
have just given up. The community would have lost a keen mapper (as it's me
- perhaps no bad thing (;>). So, although I understand the thought behind
removing mapfeatures I would "vote" (??? (;>) ???) against the proposal
unless mapfeatures is replaced by something else (what?). Förlåt, Erik, det
är inte bra!

2. If we have a voting system - until we vote against it - we should use it.
To ignore it imho denies the most basic underlying principle of any wiki.

3. There might be merit in restricting voting to an enfranchised
sub-community - I would not dare to vote on most proposals, at least not
yet, because I feel I don't have enough understanding either of osm or of
the tag subject matter. It would be (very) imperfect but how about a pop
quiz for would-be voters that becomes available after, say, a year's active
use of the site? (:>?)

Sei einsieitig Streichung - ohne Verhandlung ... höflich?

Regards to ALL of my colleagues

Mike Harris