[OSM-talk] when do <12 TAH tiles render?

Vikas Yadav mevikas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 20:08:27 GMT 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 18:22 +0100, Dirk-Lüder Kreie wrote:
> Vikas Yadav schrieb:
>
> > By "you render" i think tilesGen xy thing?
> > I had to do had a lot on my times cause I was experimenting putting
> > hindi names along with english. Most times TAH clients were no rendering
> > hindi correctly so I had to do a force render-upload skipping the queue.
>
> you should be able to "cheat" the mechanism by requesting an update of
> said tile on low priority, just before uploading. Even better:
> coordinate your efforts with the t at h people (such as spaetz and me)
>
> > Actually, just yesterday  tried I even gave xy and third optional z on
> > tilesGen and it did render 6-11 tiles and then uploaded them as well.
> > but, never saw any difference. no clue why.
>
> I don't know how the lowzoom handling for uploaded tileset works at the
> moment on the server
>
> > Mapnik is not in my control and hindi font it is using is very wrong.
> > But lowzoom tiles did get refreshed while the wednesday cycle.
>
> If you can specify what exactly goes wrong, or, even better, know a font
> which does render correctly, please do not hesitate to say so, since the
> guys looking after the renderer don't know Hindi themselves, and need
> help from people like you who do know.

Since your response was very encouraging, I send the links with all the
comparison - all are of the New Delhi Region:

osmarender at z12 - works if the renderer runs with correct hindi font.
grammer is perfect.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.6233&lon=77.3026&zoom=12&layers=0B00FTF

mapnik at z12 - has tried hindi but is getting grammar wrong:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.6233&lon=77.3026&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF

osmarender at z11 - in last 2 weeks, never refreshed. Like duplicate
place errors was fixed 2 weeks back.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.532&lon=77.246&zoom=11&layers=0B00FTF

Font on my ubuntu 8.1/openoffice2.4:
DejaVu Sans: works nicely
Alternatively: Lohit Hindi,Aksharyogini also does

DejaVu Serif: wrong font with very wrong grammar - the font i believe
mapnik is using.

I could try sending the font file along the thread if that would help.