[OSM-talk] undeleting ways?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Feb 8 09:26:38 GMT 2009

Hi,

malenki wrote:
> Retrieve lost data with planetosm-excerpt-tags.pl and
> planetosm-excerpt-area.pl parsing an older worldfile (or better partly
> file, if exist) containing the deleted items.

[...]

> Maybe there are other methods - I don't know them.

If you can find out the IDs of the "lost" objects then they can be
retrieved through the API (with .../history). The trick is finding out
which objects you want. If you know roughly when the deletion has taken
place and/or by whom, then you can download the daily diff for the
day(s) in question and find out which objects were deleted. The daily
diffs are relatively small and easy to process even on a small machine,
and there's a program called oscgrep.pl in SVN that will easily let you
find things like "all node deletions by user X in this daily diff".

Bye
Frederik