[OSM-talk] Fwd: hello form Greece

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Feb 13 14:11:49 GMT 2009

Lähettäjä: Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> > I wonder if there is any other off-line GIS editor than
> JOSM that can
> > only use imagery through WMS but not open any local image
> files directly.
>
> There's two parts to it, orthorectifying/georeferencing the
> image and loading it. If it were only the loading of an
> already prepared image, I believe JOSM could simply
> copy+paste some code from one of the existing OS Java GIS
> packages. But I'd rather not build a warping engine into
> JOSM, and most people who ask "how can I load my file"
> actually require that...

That's true, by running local (or remote) WMS there is not much to care about warping, knowing the original projection of image is enough. Using local images in JOSM that does not support reprojecting would require warping images to WGS84 with external program like gdalwarp first.  And if images are not georeferenced there is an additional and not very simple task more. But it looks like next version of Qgis Georeferencer plugin will be quite nice tool for this. OpenStreetMap WMS service would be a great pair with it for measuring ground control points.

> BTW I hear that QGis now has an experimental plugin that you
> can use to edit (!) OSM data.

I haven't tried yet, but there really seems to be one that can only read
http://faunalia.it/qgis/
and another that should be able to upload as well
http://mapserver.sk/~wonder/qgis/plugins-sandbox.xml