[OSM-talk] parcel data in OSM

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Feb 18 13:40:01 GMT 2009

Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:39:56PM -0800, Sam Vekemans wrote:
>> Hi,
>> ya, its certainly worth creating a tag proposal page for it.
>> I would (imo) would like to see it only rendered when zooming in real close.
>
> I would disagree that it should be rendered in the main maps at all.
> Surveyor data is not interesting to a typical map user, and it is much
> better suited for a specialized renderer, not for the general purpose
> map browsing that is offered by the main OSM map.

That's a fair point, but I've also been thinking about rendering
adjusting towards constant details/pixel, putting in more data in less
dense places.  In Cambridge, MA parcel data would be amazingly
cluttered, but out where I am most parcels are > 1 acre and might be
interesting esp. at z17.  I suppose this really argues for having even
easier ways for people to make their own maps from the database, for
experimentation and for different needs; I haven't gotten around to
setting up pgsql/mapnik/etc. myself.

I had already been thinking about trying to enter parcel data for my
town.  So I think the basic "does it belong" answer is yes.  But this
raises a few issues:

  This data will likely be updated by MassGIS and hopefully get better
  over time.  While we want OSMers to be able to edit, it would be
  really nice to have an automated merge/diff process.  It might be
  useful to design this before doing the big imports since we might want
  some kind of merge metadata tags.

  There is the technical issue of database size, with the resulting
  issues of the size of exports, the size of area downloads for JOSM,
  etc.

  Having this data would allow cross-checking of road parcels (or holes)
  and road centerlines.  Not an issue as much as an opportunity for lots
  of work.