[OSM-talk] amenity=doctor or amenity=doctors ? & other duplicate tags [tagging]

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Feb 24 13:07:29 GMT 2009

Hi,

sly (sylvain letuffe) wrote:
> I can't rembember how many (oneway='yes' or oneway='true' or oneway='1') there
> are in the mapnik style's sheets I use.
>
> not talking about tunnel='yes', bridge='yes', and of course the later
> amenity='doctor(s)'

We could also create a preprocessor that "unifies" OSM data. For example
if your target is Mapnik rendering, then would it not be great to have a
piece of software that merges all these different-values-for-same-thing
cases, and also drops everything that Mapnik won't use anyway, and gives
you a debug output for free ("dropped 192 ways tagged
highway=residentail, reason: not used in map file").

Seeing that Osmosis becomes *the* tool for doing anything with OSM data
and seeing that it seems to have a workable plugin interface, would that
not be a good way forward for those who need strict tagging?

This seems to me far superior than trying to meddle with the OSM
database itself through bots & scripts. The "unifier" could by default
use a centrally maintained rule set, but if the individual user needs
something different he can always use a modified version.

Bye
Frederik