[OSM-talk] amenity=doctor or amenity=doctors ? & other duplicate tags [tagging]

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 13:48:28 GMT 2009

2009/2/24 sly (sylvain letuffe) <liste at letuffe.org>:

>> We could also create a preprocessor that "unifies" OSM data.
>
> I've been thinkink a lot about an osm pré-processor, but not to solve the
> problem you mentionned.
>
> The main problem, to my point of vue, in the duplicates tag case, is not at
> developper/renderer side, but at begginers learning to contribute to OSM, and
> that is not solvable by a pre-processor ;-)
>
> I mentionned the fact that solving it for begginers will also solve it for a
> cheap price at dev/renderer side.
>
>> This seems to me far superior than trying to meddle with the OSM
>> database itself through bots & scripts.
>
> For data uses yes, but not for data feeding.
>
> The idea I was after with a pre-processor was to explicit those so many
> default values than need to be hardcoded in every routing software in order
> to guess that a motorway is unaccessible to pedestrians.
> But that's another story.

Have you played with the TagTransform plugin I wrote for Osmosis a while back?
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/TagTransform
It only works against osmosis-0.29 unfortunately... I'll have to fix that.

I wrote it to do some more complex duplicate removal for the cycle map
(as a preprocessor before osm2pgsql). The key one being
highway=path,bicycle=yes which as far as I can tell is a duplicate of
highway=cycleway. It's not actually rolled out yet though I keep
meaning to do the necessary tweaking of the tool-chain.

Anyway, point is it's a fairly abstract framework for
removing/adding/changing tags on OSM objects that may be of interest.

Dave