[OSM-talk] [Spam] OpenStreetMap Trust

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jan 13 14:04:32 GMT 2009

On 13 Jan 2009, at 03:30, Mikel Maron wrote:

> Say I'm monitoring an area for unusual changes. There are people I
> trust -- people who've been on OSM a while, or OSM newbies I know
> personally .. perhaps they are marked as friends in osm.org. I don't
> want to look at every edit. The edits I want to give special
> attention to are from those users I don't trust.
>
> There are a few nascent and compelling ways to monitor change, none
> take trust into accounthttp://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Change_monitoring
>
> As we scale, I reckon this is the way to manage maintenance on ever
> growing data. For a map in a place like Gaza it's crucial to monitor
> change in order for other organizations to trust our map.
>
> Thoughts on incorporating trust in change monitoring tools?

Yes. We have a suggestion on the OSM  Mapper wiki page to add a
'friends' feature to allow us to only show edits made by people one
didn't know, or didn't trust.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Mapper

We do have an updated due out soon, possibly next week, but that one
won't have this feature in it, it is however something we would like
to do. We are relaxed  about either using the person's 'friends' list
from within the OSM wiki so long as we can access that information, or
we will allow people to creat networks within the ITO domain if not.

Fyi, we are planning to change the name of OSM Mapper to ITO Mapper at
some point in the near future. Some people are already calling it that
(including us from time to time). We are doing this to avoid confusion
with people who describe themselves as an OSM Mapper, and also because
we also be working with other complimentary data-sets. The only links
will continue to work however when we make the change.

Regards,

Peter