[OSM-talk] Splitting a route releation (Re: Upload of relation from JOSM fails)

Karl Eichwalder ke at gnu.franken.de
Thu Jan 15 17:33:12 GMT 2009

Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi> writes:

>> Yes, I think the same.  But what's the best way to split such a
>> relation?  Long distance hiking routes tend to be that large and I'd
>> like split them, e.g., the still incomplete "Frankenweg" in Franconia,
>> Germany, that right now features more than 500 members and there are
>> probably 1000 members to come.
>
> Introducing a new 'relation collection' metarelation, that can have only
> relations as members?

Yes, but that's the easy and not too important part.

I think splitting a route relation could work as follows:

1/ Download all ways that are members of the relation:

wget 'http://www.informationfreeway.org/api/0.5/relation[name=Frankenweg]' \
 -O frankenweg.osm

2/ Open frankenweg.osm in josm.

3/ Mark the northern part of the route and cut it.

4/ Save the rest as frankenweg-s.osm (for south part).

5/ Empty the josm window.

6/ Paste the cut northern part (see 3/).

7/ Create the new route relation "Frankenweg-Nord" and make all ways
member of this new relation.
*** Now I'd like to upload this relation.  Does this work?

8/ Empty the josm window.  Load frankenweg-s.osm and create the other
relation, say "Frankenweg-Süd", etc. pp.

9/ Remove all members from the old "Frankenweg" relation.
*** How can I accomplish this?

10/ Make "Frankenweg-Nord" and "Frankenweg-Süd" members of the old
"Frankenweg" relation.
*** Which tags should you use?

11/ Add a note to the old "Frankenweg" relation explaining that this is
a 'relation collection' metarelation, etc. pp.

--
Karl Eichwalder