[OSM-talk] 68 GPS units donated to OSM

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 18 15:39:34 GMT 2009

I was thinking instead of organising Mapping Parties we could now start
training 'key' people in OpenStreetMap, so instead of hoping to have a
handful of OSM'ers/newbies complete a place in one weekend, we have someone
work for a few months until they struggle to reach unmapped places and send
the GPS back to the foundation.
Key people are identified first by place (those OSM deserts like in the UK
the extreme North and the West Country) and then by free time and interest
in having a free map (students, cyclist group organisers, retired OpenSource
entusiasts).
My idea for training is that someone who would normally organise a mapping
party(so any OSMer) goes and meets a previously identified/contacted key
person, spends a day 1:1 showing them how to survery AND how to map on
JOSM/Potlatch, then leaves them with the GPSr they used to carry on. Being
given training and a free GPS to borrow should inspire them to get mapping
so they can have the free map they wanted to use.

Anyway, this is an idea and maybe not that exciting. Just thought I would
get the creative juices following so anyone else can think of things to do
with these 68 wonderful GPSes.

2009/1/15 <openstreetmap at coutiere.com>

> Many things:
> - I'll be in London in 10 days, and I can bring some pieces back to Paris
> easily enough, if someone is interested. I (or some other French people)
> could then spread them for the mapping parties over here.
>
> - I can also convert the plugs to "French" plugs pretty easily. Other types
> of plugs are harder to find on my side.
>
> - I will probably go to Morocco in March, and to Arab Emirates before
> April.
>
> Is this of interest for anyone?

Gregory
nomoregrapes at gmail.com