[OSM-talk] Wiki: chriscf vandalism

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Jan 31 00:40:30 GMT 2009

Hi,

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>>    the German community takes offence at user:chriscf's deletion
>> of the  "smoothness" voting result from "approved features" and
>> moving it to "rejected features" in spite of of there having been
>> a proper vote with an "approved" outcome.
>
> Then the German community should come to this, non-localised mailing list
> and have the cojones to say so.

In German?

A (surprisingly large) proportion of readers are just about able to
*read* the English Wiki pages and would not dream about entering a
discussion on talk. Don't be so harsh with them just because they hold
up their conviction that Potlatch is a heap of crap ;-) [*]

> (And I know you're part of the -de community, Frederik, but I'm also not
> under any illusions that you're communicating this message because you love
> the voting system.)

Everyone knows that I think the voting system is ridiculous.

> Chris has had the courage of his convictions to stand up against an utterly
> ridiculous tag, thereby pointing out the flaws in a voting system which a
> lot of us are silently unhappy with. Good luck to him.

But he is effectively claiming that this very tag was rejected by the
voting system, and that is just plain wrong, however ridiculous the tag
or the voting system. It's not a matter of liking or not liking either
the voting system or the tag.

I think that one should either fight the voting system altogehter, or
accept it (or ignore it), but not accept those results one likes and
delete those one dislikes. That, for me, is not courage of convictions,
it is just mischief.

I am against the voting system but I will not go so far to simply delete
all proposals just because I think the concept is flawed. Would such an
action earn your respect as well?

Thinking about it, Steve's proposed Wiki cleanup day takes on a whole
new proportion ;-)

Bye
Frederik

[*] Not true by the way, we're seeing even sworn Potlatch enemies say
"it doesn't seem *too* bad" nowadays...