[OSM-talk] Wiki: chriscf vandalism

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sat Jan 31 12:38:26 GMT 2009

On 31 Jan 2009, at 11:57, Sven Rautenberg wrote:

> Pieren schrieb:
>> The problem here is that Chriscf just wants to avoid that this tag is
>> used by others and never proposed some alternative solutions.
>
> The current voting is 19 yes and 10 no.
>
> If Chriscf cannot convince at least another 10 people to oppose this
> proposal, he must face the fact that he has been overruled.
>
> Chris: Organize more opposition, and nobody will complain about this
> tag
> being rejected because too many people were against it. But do not put
> your single vote above all others.

I have no particular opinion either way as to this tag, however on the
subject of voting, is the current rule that 51% is enough to get
approval? As time goes on I suggest we could raise the requirement.
Possibly one would need at least 20 votes for and also at least 80% in
favour. This would increase the need to consult and get a consensus.
Of course... it might mean that no one bothers to get tags voted on,
but that it also fine, it might result in it not getting rendered as
quickly though.

Is it also  worth getting an indication as to whether the coders of
the rendering and routing engines actually intend to implement the
proposed feature. I realise the process is meant to be easy even if it
is messy, but a straight majority will allows tags to be adopted that
are very controversial.

Possibly we also allow some tags 'on probation' and then pull them out
if they don't get taken up within 6 months. On the subject of
probation, here are some details about current usage of smoothness.
This image shows who is tagging with this tag in Europe and where they
are doing it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterito/3241268304/

I total of 180 people have used the 'smoothness' tag in Europe and of
those 18 have used it more than 20 times. The tag has been used only
21 times in the Americas and has not been used elsewhere in the world.

The following values have been used within Europe (including some typos)
value	way	node	total
bad	627	0	627
intermediate	622	0	622
good	559	0	559