[OSM-talk] New planet mirror

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 4 14:37:35 BST 2009

--- On Sat, 4/7/09, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> kindly offered to mirror all of planet.openstreetmap.org as
> well as the
> Europe and Germany extracts from download.geofabrik.de.

I've been playing with a full copy of the planet file and 6G is getting slightly unusable in some respects, I have a quad core xeon with 3G of ram not able to cope without doing tmp stuff in the DB which is slower.

Would it be possible to generate yearly or quarterly extracts so that those coming in late don't need to download a massive file but can just import from several files to get up and running?