[OSM-talk] Karlsruhe schema with address ranges

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Jul 21 09:58:35 BST 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 08:19:25AM +0000, Joe Richards wrote:
> > I am tagging some buildings which contain multiple addresses in them, but
> not interpolated
> >
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.49994&lon=-2.61296&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF
> >
> > Since the listing of these numbers is long and sloppy, is it possible to
> use the sub-proposal for ranges (e.g. 37-45) given here:
> >
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema#Sub-proposal:_ranges_of_numbers_for_individual_nodes
>
> I don't know about those building, but in many cases there are different
> entrances for each house number in one large building. In that case I would
> suggest you map those entrances as single nodes (all on the way making up
> the building outline), each with its house number. This solves the above
> problem and as bonus gives better routing to the actual entrance.

Frequently not.

I've done a lot of addr:housenumber=10-23
Sometimes I've added a node for each entrance.
I've even done some funky stuff with writing (even)/(odd) in there, but
that's probably not such a good idea. I was just following the principal of
recording the information to figure out what works later.

Take a browse round putney for some of the obscure combinations I've messed
with.
http://osm.org/go/euum1sxuh--

Dave