[OSM-talk] JOSM slippy map max_zoom_level workaround

Beej Jorgensen beej at beej.us
Wed Jun 24 21:07:07 BST 2009

Sorry if this has been talked about to death and I didn't notice, but I
did search a bit and didn't find the answer.  I'm also pretty sure I'm
up-to-date on all the code.

I have been curious for a long time why JOSM's slippymap plugin seems to
decrease the max_zoom_level by 4 every time I run it, and only now
decided to chase it down.

The offending code seems to be in SlippyMapPreferences.java:

  public static int getMinZoomLvl()
  {
    String minZoomLvl = Main.pref.get(PREFERENCE_MIN_ZOOM_LVL);

    if (minZoomLvl == null || "".equals(minZoomLvl))
    {
      minZoomLvl = "" + (SlippyMapPreferences.getMaxZoomLvl() - 4);
      Main.pref.put(PREFERENCE_MAX_ZOOM_LVL, minZoomLvl);
    }

Perhaps that should be a PREFERENCE_MIN_ZOOM_LVL in the pref.put()?

In any case, a quick workaround is to add min_zoom_level to your
.josm/preferences file, e.g:

  slippymap.max_zoom_lvl=17
  slippymap.min_zoom_lvl=2

Again, I apologize if this is a rerun or out of date.

-Beej