[OSM-talk] Wiki page for big data contributors needs updating

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sat Mar 14 10:49:28 GMT 2009

Simone,

The ODbL is still a "BY-SA" license but written with databases rather than creative works in mind ("ODC-BY-SA"). So my opinion is that Frederik's advice is the right one, it depends on how narrow or wide-ranging the original authority was.

At the moment, we are simply trying to methodically establish where issues might exist.  There is no need to make formal contact ... a license change has neither been decided nor made.

As for later, would a simple courtesy notification email or letter work?  "For your information, OSM is migrating to a new license under broadly the same terms [*] but with greater clarity.  The text of the license can be seen at xxxxx, if you have any concerns with us continuing to use your data, please contact me at yyyy".

Mike
License Working Group

[*] I realise that at a fine-grained level that is currently a matter of debate!