[OSM-talk] How do I connect to openstreetmap via wms so my web application can use openstreetmap as my base layer?

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Oct 1 11:07:01 BST 2009

Hi,

Somehow I feel that you are not interested in real WMS but you mainly
want tiles to be used as a background in some OpenLayers application.
In that case normal, uncached WMS in not what you want.  But if you want
to get on-the-fly rendering with selectable layers, different
projections and even user selectable styling by pointing your own SLD
document then WMS is a fine alternative for the fast but dull OSM tiles.

The link where WMS starts is
http://services.giub.uni-bonn.de/wms?Request=GetCapabilities .
There seems to be Geoserver behind the service and because it is listing
all the 3912 supported projections the document is quite long.  What is
worse it that some WMS clients cannot handle that long SRS list.  At
least OpenJUMP fails because of that.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

John Mitchell  wrote:

 Thanks,

For the below link I noticed that the demo outputs the tiles as an epsg
of 900913 is it also possible to output as an epsg of 4326 since our
data is as 4326, and if you can output as 4326 will it line up with our
other data.
We found that with having google maps as the base layer that it did not
line up with our other data when they both outputted as 4326 but they
lined up when both were 900913.

John

	On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Jukka Rahkonen
<jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi> wrote:

		John Mitchell <mitchelljj98 <at> gmail.com> writes:

		> Hi,How do I connect to openstreetmap via wms so my web
application can use
		openstreetmap as my base layer.Thanks,-- John J.
Mitchell

		Hi,

		Try http://www.osm-wms.de/

		-Jukka Rahkonen-