[OSM-talk] Flickr Now Supports OSM Tags

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu Oct 1 13:36:47 BST 2009

Frederik Ramm writes:
 > In the long term, standardisation would kill the project, and thus not
 > be desirable even for our users. - Coming from the outside and not
 > having the knowledge about OSM that we have, users can be forgiven to
 > demand things that would ultimately destroy OSM,

That's a great theory, but I keep seeing some OSM editors trying to
convince other OSM editors that random tagging is a good thing, and
the other OSM editors asking for more consistency.  Might some editors
feel pressure to tag consistently?  Sure, but right now, other editors
are feeling pressure to tag randomly.

I don't see this as being driven by users of the data, but by editors
of the data.

And I'm not talking about forcing anybody to do anything, nor to not
accept edits which don't comply with wishes($SteveC).  I'm talking
about actually having standards which people who wish to comply with
standards can comply with.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog