[OSM-talk] Flickr Now Supports OSM Tags

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Thu Oct 1 13:41:42 BST 2009

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dave F. wrote:
>> I find it very disappointing you feel there is a them & us situation.
>
> Yes, very disappointing but not every human being on earth happens to
> have an OSM account. We're working on it.

Sorry Fredrik, but you /were/ talking about people already within OSM:
"Coming from the outside and not having the knowledge about OSM that we
have"
>> Isn't that just putting an artificial middle man into the equation?
>
> The cool thing about this is that users can control what kind of
> middle man they want.
>
>> Wouldn't it be better to have an organised, original data?
>
> Not in my eyes. If users come to us and say: "Hey, we'd like to have
> only 6 road categories not 18" then, instead of removing information
> in our database to be compliant, we simply give them a set of rules
> for their artificial middle man that gives them 6 road categories, and
> we don't even have to change all our editors and re-educate all our
> mappers. Best of both worlds, innit?
So what you have is an XSLT files that does the work that the likes of
flickr would do & you sell them the service.
Which is fine, but you still have to work of sorting it out.
What I've been trying to say (& seemingly not doing a very good job of
it) is that if there was certain standardisation that work load would be
reduced.

Cheers
Dave F.