[OSM-talk] Overlay showing wikipedia links

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 17:33:13 BST 2009

2009/10/2 Dan Karran <dan at karran.net>:
> 2009/9/30 andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com>:
>> It's at http://www.openstreetmap.pl/wp (see caveats below).
>
> In terms of interface, those circles can get in the way at times so it
> can be difficult to see what's under them, especially as they grow in
> size when you move your mouse near them. Also the display of areas can
> hide everything that's underneath them (e.g. on the Isle of Man), so
> perhaps they could be pushed to the back?

Yes, this overlay is not meant for a page where you want to actually
browse maps (who would want to do that anyway), I want to try it out
on the openstreetmap.pl main page where it'll be made less intrusive,
hardly noticeable.

BTW, I now made .jpg's be preferred over .png's over .svg's.  I also
added other smarts like recognising wikipedia=yes /
wikipedia:<code>=yes tags in which case the page title is taken to be
the value of name= -- this usage was pointed out by OJ W, thanks.
Obviously this way of tagging doesn't scale well.

Also, from looking at httpd logs it seems like some of the WebKit
based browsers (Safari, Chrome) and Opera manage to load the wikipedia
tiles (but for some people even firefox fails, apparently).

Cheers