[OSM-talk] bot vandalism

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 08:28:23 BST 2009

2009/10/12 Matthias Versen <spam at mversen.de>:
> Should we allow to register everyone only with a valid email address and
> let him edit the whole planet with JOSM/potlatch/script without quality
> check ?
> This new users are doing the same mistakes I did at the beginning and
> they often break valid data and they sometimes don't respond to emails
> if you have questions unlike the bot owner of that bot.

<snip>

> I have a flood of edits as well :
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Nightdive/edits

The difference between a prolific user and a bot is depending on how
the bot is coded it has the potential to do a lot more damage if left
unchecked, in the case of a new user they are more likely to check the
results (rendering) of their edits and adjust or correct their work
before making further mistakes, bots don't have this feed back loop
once they're let loose and the results could be very devastating.