[OSM-talk] importing shapefile data to OSM

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 19:29:30 GMT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 2:57 PM, John Callahan <john.callahan at udel.edu> wrote:
> I have some polygon data (building footprints) and point data (places of
> interest) that I'd like to get into OSM.

John, have you read the import wiki page?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import

The #1 most important issue is to be 100% sure you have the license
squared away that will allow you to import your data.

There's also a data import mailing list.

> For the polygons, there are about 100+ building footprints in a
> shapefile.  What would be a recommended way to load those into OSM?

This answer depends on who you talk to greatly.

In DC we've been working with several dozen data sets and we're
working on processes to work with this.

There's unfortunately no good one single answer, and each effort has
its own gotchas to look out for.

I've been working on tools to aid us in DC with the data import, which
I hope will be more generally useful, but at the same time, others in
the group are using whole different toolchains than I am (I'm using
gdal/ogr bindings and they're using postgis).

If you want to talk more about the work, I'd suggest the bulk import
mailing list, or if you have questions on what we're doing- talk to me
off-list.

- Serge