[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Tue Feb 2 13:32:00 GMT 2010

NopMap wrote:
> Hi!
>
> A consistent, easy-to-use set of tags would spare mappers from spending time
> trying to figure out how to do something that has been figured out many
> times before or which contradictive information to follow.

As I map a road I've not visited before, I don't consider using
highway=street_with_houses, I add highway=residential . If I see a road
sign with a speed limit I add maxspeed=30mph, not
restriction:speed=30mph or legal_constraint_on_speed=30mph. I don't
agonise over the tag to use to label the plaque that describes the title
of the street allocated by the council, I just add a name=* tag.  All of
this is listed on a single page in the wiki - it's even printed on a
mug! Why is this so hard?
> Instead mappers would be free to simply do what they enjoy - mapping.

If you have a fixed list then suddenly this enjoyable mapping experience
becomes a frustrating battle when someone sees something that they want
to add but it's not in the list, so it can't be added.

Cheers, Chris