[OSM-talk] In-vehicle tracking and editing software for tablet computers?

Sam Wilson sam at archives.org.au
Sat Feb 6 03:44:03 GMT 2010

On 5/2/10 4:56 PM, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
> I'd use separate pieces of software. Custom software for tracking (it's
> not that hard, and it really depends on how you transmit the position of
> the vehicle); navit for navigation (text-to-speech and all), and JOSM
> for editing (with the livegps and surveyor plugins).

This seems to be how things are evolving.  I've got a simple logging
system nearly up and running (comprising a single shell script that logs
everything off the serial port to hourly logfiles, and rsyncs them to a
central server, where they're gpsbabel'd).

Then I'll get them used to navigating with OSM (you and others have
recommended Navit), and when they complain that the map is incomplete,
I'll throw in the editing!  :-)

(I'm working up some documentation to post to... hmm, where? the OSM
wiki?  Wikibooks?  Somewhere.)

Thanks,
Sam.