[OSM-talk] Thoughts on OSM design, and looking forward and back

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Wed Feb 24 00:07:58 GMT 2010

On Feb 23, 2010, at 5:01 PM, John Smith wrote:

> On 24 February 2010 09:42, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
>> You don't seem to make any realistic suggestions for moving forward and just, instead, suggest potlatch is fine as is the front page. That doesn't seem to be in touch with the reality of every newbie who encounters the project, does it?
>
> Have you asked for any estimates on getting a replacement for potlatch coded?
>
> I already saw how you'd rather not go down this path, but I'm curious
> because I agree 100% that we need something similar after having spend
> considerable time explaining potlatch to non-tech relatives...

yay!

We basically have a few options:

* Continue with PL1
* Freeze PL1 (TomH enforces no more updated on the server) and work on PL2
* Pull in MapZen as the editor
* Pull in the JOSM applet version
* Write something new

Or some combination. Whatever happens my best outcome would be something that

1) Has a big open source community behind it
2) Is easy(ier) to use

PL1, PL2, MapZen don't do (1)
JOSM does do (1) but for a newbie, does not do (2).

Getting back to your question, no I've not asked anyone yet for estimates but it shouldn't be too long with either mapzen or PL2 AFAICS but we really need the structural problems fixed, like freezing PL1 or figuring out how to attract more flash coders. As I said but Andy largely ignored, paying people is probably the worst option from a community point of view but at least it might move us forward.

Yours &c.

Steve