[OSM-talk] Thoughts on OSM design, and looking forward and back

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Feb 24 05:58:01 GMT 2010

SteveC writes:
 > Or some combination. Whatever happens my best outcome would be something that
 >
 > 1) Has a big open source community behind it
 > 2) Is easy(ier) to use
 >
 > PL1, PL2, MapZen don't do (1)
 > JOSM does do (1) but for a newbie, does not do (2).

Part of the problem with Potlatch is:
  o It tries to be easy and approachable, and
  o It succeeds at that and has lots of users, and
  o Those users want to do more sophisticated editing, and
  o They want features that aren't easy and approachable, and
  o RichardF, being a nice person and liking his users, puts them in.

IMHO, we need RichardF to be more of a bastard, and say "No, this
isn't going into Potlatch.  Go away and learn JOSM or Merkaartor;
they're not THAT hard."

Reiterate with $POTLATCH_REPLACEMENT and $AUTHOR; this problem isn't
intrinsic to Potlatch or RichardF.  It's not about RichardF being a
volunteer; for-profit software companies do the same thing.  It's not
about software or people, it's about systems.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog