[OSM-talk] Fwd: OSM rewriting history : France is now part of Germany !

Aun Johnsen lists at gimnechiske.org
Sat Jan 2 18:40:11 GMT 2010

 On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

>    2010/1/2 Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de>
>
>>  On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:14:41PM +1000, John Smith wrote:
>>  > Hmmm perhaps I should have been a little clearer, I'm thinking of
>> > administrative boundaries, in particular boundary relations, and there
>> > is lots of area names rendering in the middle of no where or duplicate
>> > names close to each other because there is a boundary + a place node,
>>

> probably that's a mapping error? If there's a polygon the node could go. Or
> it could be added to a relation, where the node would be inserted as
> rendering-location-suggestion? This still might be different for different
> views and zooms.
>

>> Doesnt make sense - its just matter of fixing the mapnik config. I
>> think currently it renders a name for all polygons. This should
>> probably be limited to certain types.
>>

> well, I myself consider rendering all polygon-names a feature (nice to see
> which features are maybe missing in the stylesheet), but for a "clean map
> for the consumer" I'd agree with you (though I don't consider Mapnik-OSM as
> such).
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Maybe the Mapnik-OSM should be further vectorized, I've just put in a ticket
on that on trac. The data we put into Mapnik allows for full vectorizing of
the map, though Mapnik actually produces a raster map. With a vectorized map
each user could enable and disable the layers as desired, i.e. could have
the map render a different shade on lit highways, remove the name of
supermarkets, etc. That would b of benefit as enabling ALL tags to be
rendered will overcrowd the map, and we are to many to really agree on which
to enable and which to disable.