[OSM-talk] Can someone suggest a OSM/nearmap-based route-plotting tool

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 7 13:32:28 GMT 2010

On 07/01/2010 08:51, Steve Bennett wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I want to plot a route tonight to load in GPX format onto my GPSR.
> Normally I'd have done this using Google-based stuff (like bikely.com
> <http://bikely.com>), but I can honestly say the OSM data is a lot
> better, and the nearmap imagery a lot more recent. I just can't think of
> a way to do this - can someone suggest a site/tool/whatever. I don't
> need road-following, just the ability to plot points while looking at
> (preferably very current) mapnik/osmarender/..., and preferably (but not
> necessarily) with nearmap imagery behind.

For a similar thing to bikely etc, you could try GPSies
http://www.gpsies.com
It has the option of Mapnik or Opencyclemap views (as well as Google,
Yahoo etc), and you can draw a route on top, then export to GPX.
Note that if you use the "follow road" option, it will still use Google
Maps for routing.

Alternatively, you could use Garmin MapSource (or maybe Garmin
Basecamp?) with OSM maps in it.
This is what I usually use for plotting routes, particularly if I want
routing, as I know it should be similar to the Garmin GPSr. Though the
maps probably won't be very current unless you regularly download and
generate new sets.

Craig