[OSM-talk] no rendering of amenity=veterinary

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 23:54:25 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Joseph Reeves <iknowjoseph at gmail.com>wrote:

> >You currently have this chicken-and-egg situation where you don't know if
> it's worth using a tag because you don't know if it will ever be
> implemented.
>
> But now you're just mapping for the renderer.

Not by the usual interpretation of the phrase "tagging for the renderer", as
has been discussed several times recently. Using a tag that will never be
recognised by any software is (I think) at least as bad as abusing a tag so
it will be treated in some way by some currently existing software. There's
a balance between the two, and tagging in total ignorance of software
support is not a good strategy.

Anyway, as this is a recurring debate with no consensus, I think I'll leave
it there. The only real issue here is that "voted on" tags are taking a long
time to get implemented in Osmarender, and we should help the developers to
reduce this.

Steve