[OSM-talk] Potlatch and NearMap sourcing - what? why?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Jun 9 09:58:17 BST 2010

Steve Bennett wrote:
> I just noticed that Potlatch has started saving the source, when
> using nearmap[1], as "source=http://www.nearmap.com/kh/
> zxy=!,!,!" rather than just "source=nearmap".

No it hasn't.

> Several issues here:
> 1) That format looks broken - surely those should be numbers, not !
> 2) Changing to such a specific source rather than the generic
> "nearmap" is a fairly big change and is going to cause incorrect
> sourcing. For example, you could take a whole highway with a tag
> that only really applies to one bit.
> 3) I don't really want to keep tagging atm knowing that it's creating
> broken sources. Could this be fixed quickly?

trac called, it wants its job back.

It is really really really unhelpful to bring up every little thing on the
mailing lists rather than the proper bug-tracking system. Please don't. It
doesn't mean your alleged bug gets fixed quicker - quite the opposite; it's
impossible to keep track of what people want if it's scattered over 257
mailing lists.

If you open Potlatch, select Nearmap in the menu, and press 'B' to add the
source, it tags it as source=nearmap. I have just tested it. It works. It
hasn't changed. Indeed, Potlatch 1 hasn't changed at all since 8th April
generally because I (and others) have been concentrating on Potlatch 2.

You can also give Potlatch a custom URL for aerial imagery, either using the
dialogue box or by appending &tileurl= to the ?edit... link. Potlatch's
custom URL format uses three !s to signify z, x and y parameters
respectively. If you have chosen such a custom URL, Potlatch obviously
doesn't know what source tag it should use when you press B, so it will just
use the custom URL format.

My guess is that you followed a link with &tileurl=whathaveyou.

Richard